History

In 1948, Acme Bonded Warehouse opened its doors with the purpose of handling and storing Peter-Paul candy products. Two years later in 1950, the company placed two delivery vans in service to provide local deliveries in the Atlanta market. Twenty years later, Acme changed its name to Atlanta Bonded Warehouse, and the small delivery fleet was incorporated as a separate entity as Colonial Cartage. Over the course of the transportation deregulation era in the late 70s and early 80s, the Colonial fleet continued to expand its delivery area and scope of services — including the addition of the company’s first tractor-trailer in 1985. By 2000, Colonial solidified itself as a full-service, asset-based regional carrier providing LTL and truckload services across the Southeast for numerous customers, including every major confectionary manufacturer in the U.S. market.
1500 Southland Circle, 1985
Today, Colonial has a fleet of more than 50 tractors and 220 trailers that provide direct refrigerated LTL services to 26 states across the Southeast, Southwest, Midwest, Upper Midwest, and the Great Plains states. Other services offered by Colonial include regional plant support, cross-docking (truck-truck and rail-truck), and inbound consolidation to outbound cross-dock. Contact Colonial Cartage today to learn more about our fleet and services.